If you have no idea who Jason Shew is, start with this site: www.jasonshew.com. Here’s a TL;DR version for you:
- linguistics, TESOL, and coldżone
- music-making and Arikid
- human resources management and corporate identity design
- photography, coding, and design
- wiki-binge addict
Yes, that’s all about his public/professional persona.
If you desire to have an intimate knowledge of him, just read on.
Born in 1986 to a Chinese family swamped with changes, Jason Shew has been given more than one legal name, including a first name 敬翔 (Cantonese: King-ch’eung, Mandarin Chinese: Jìngxiáng) – transliterated as Jason – and a matrilineal surname 邵 (Cantonese: Shiu, Mandarin: Shào), which is romanized as Shew. Another first name, 佳 (Cantonese: Kai, Mandarin: Jiā), complete with a patrilineal surname 張 (Cantonese: Cheung, Mandarin: Zhāng), was used when he was in school due to his birth father’s tyrannies back then.
His middle name is Barrett, adopted in remembrance of his late de facto step-father, Constable Baorui Zheng.
Shew’s nicknames are Jay (short for Jason) and Bear (short for Barrett, less commonly used). Born under Aries in the Year of the Tiger and often being “reckless,” he is also dubbed TIGER. Despite these monikers, he goes by Jason most of the time in day-to-day life.
Denationalization is not a denial of someone’s native land but a cautious detachment from certain social, political, and cultural milieu. Shew is not believed to be a stereotypical Chinese because he …
- embraces individualism rather than collectivism.
- doesn’t subscribe to theories like “Blood is thicker than water.”
- is averse to most Chinese conventions.
- is averse to knockoff products and intellectual property theft.
- is averse to nationalism and totalitarianism.
- is averse to censorship imposed on all media.
- is far from prudish.
- is LGBTQIA-friendly.
- always seeks high levels of privacy.
- cares very much about public order.
- doesn’t live on WeChat, TikTok (Douyin), etc.
- is not prone to compulsive buying disorder on November 11 or December 12.
- does not get butthurt easily.
Shew believes that …
- family members do not necessarily outweigh friends.
- too much desire (of whatever kind) is detrimental and even disastrous, and so is any type of addiction.
- Earth is not flat at all.
- one should not work only for money.
- one should know the ins and outs of parenting before having a family.
- nationalists and radicals are toxic.
- good intentions can’t justify bad results.
- good end can’t justify bad means.
- everyone has freedom in line with their liabilities.
- probity matters a lot.
- age, gender, and status are not reasons to glorify or belittle a person.
Shew is a cisgender male (pronouns: he/him/his), but he is not the average alloromantic guy seen in your school or workplace: he is insulated from romantic experiences, feeling little to no romantic attraction toward anyone. But, mind you, aromanticism does not equate to asexuality. Shew is able to feel intense sexual attraction toward both binary genders. In other words, he is aromantic 💔, bisexual ⚤⚣, and only physically attracted to cisgender males and females. Humorously, he styles himself a complex number, which is a+bi. ⇢ Read more
He started to craft his first homepage in 1999 (using Microsoft FrontPage) and his first website proper (arikid.com) in 2006, hence the time span shown in the footer. Over the past 10+ years he hopped from one blog to another, but these sites came along by the same token: serving as his online personal silo.