Next Monday, two best friends of mine — a blissful couple as well as first-time parents-to-be — will celebrate the birthday they share with one another. I usually gift things very carefully, and this time I’m going to remain pragmatic. After much deliberation, it occurred to me that I should buy them something to celebrate their forthcoming parenthood: a superb diaper bag.
Then I realized I might have opened up a Pandora’s box. Never had I anticipated that there would be much research into this. Backpack-style or shoulder-style? Mini or roomy? Flamboyant or functional? Leather or denim? Which brand? Then I started to do something of a SWOT matrix. The features I considered to be requisites:
- It must be unisex, as they tend to share equal responsibilities in parenting;
- It must be a backpack, so that their hands could be freed;
- It must be a reliable brand product, needless to say;
- It must be durable, wear-resistant, waterproof, and dirt-fast, since they might be loath to take good care of it while focusing on the newborn;
- It must be as lightweight as possible.
My mind was in a state of flux before making the final decision. Now I’m happy about my choice: the Skip Hop Forma Backpack (jet black), to be shipped Wednesday (or probably at a later point, depending on how Amazon works). It’s indeed a bit behind time, but I believe they will like it.
For my dearest friends:
Happy Birthday & Happy Parenting!